Tuesday, May 6, 2014

ON MY WAY TO SODO IN JUNE

Sunset lit street of Sodo
Spring has come at last! This means another opportunity to travel to Ethiopia! I’m excited to continue the work that was started. You can be part of this important work that God is doing in Sodo! First, here’s an update of what’s going on in the organization.

Mossy Foot Project is making a big difference in treating patients with mossy foot disease (extremely prevalent in Ethiopia). Even more importantly their goal is to spread the good news of Jesus Christ! God’s hand is clearly seen in all of the work that is being done.

Recently, the Ethiopian government has provided to The Mossy Foot Project some land on which construction has begun. The plan is to build the headquarter office, clinic, shoe making area, guest room for traveling patients, and much more. You can learn more about this building project at mossyfoot.com or more specifically at mossyfoot.com/us/building-project/. Please do visit their website to read more about the construction; this is very exciting news for us.

November of last year Sharon and I traveled to Wolaita Sodo, Ethiopia. During my time there, I was able to setup accounting software and train Kaleb, the Ethiopian accountant. I am pleased to say Kaleb was able to provide a 2013 financial report to the board and administration in the U.S. using the new software.

A follow up trip is needed in order to answer any questions Kaleb may have. This is difficult when there is an interpreter on site and almost impossible through email because of the language barrier.

Furthermore, there is still much work to be done as far as computerizing the current paper system. Being able to quickly pull data about patients and the financial status is significant as Mossy Foot Project is growing. I know that the current paper system cannot be changed in one trip; it is a process. I look forward to working with the workers there to create a most practical computer database. I will meet with Sharon and Kaleb in Sodo at the beginning of June to continue the work in progress.

I need your help! Please pray for me that God would give me wisdom to accomplish this task and the strength I need to travel to places and cultures unfamiliar to me. Would you also consider a small gift? The trip to Sodo, scheduled for the beginning of June, will cost approximately $4,000. Any amount will be helpful. Please send payments to the following address: Vera Chosenko, PO Box 171, Spokane Valley, WA 99037. To make your contribution tax deductible please make the check out to Light of the Gospel and include my name in the memo. If it is more convenient, you may give online, click here

Follow me, I will be posting updates and photos. Be sure to subscribe by email while you are visiting this site. I look forward to keeping you posted.

Your contribution and prayers are so appreciated!  Amesege'nallo! (Thank You)


________________________________
Here are some photos from my last trip to Sodo:
Working with Kaleb, Ethiopian Accountant




Mangistu holds a donated laptop

Daniel (IT and Translator) and Sharon Daly (President) stand in front of the newly built wall around the donated property.
Sharon holds a large shoe made by shoemakers. Those with mossy foot disease need custom made shoes.

Employees of Mossy Foot Project, Sharon and me.
Part of the administrative and health team. Fileka (Health Worker), Mangistu (Bookkeeper), Mateos (Self Help Loan Administrator), Vera (Accountant), Ato Yoseph (National Representative)