Wednesday, September 11, 2013



I would like to share with you what God has been doing in my life most recently. As you may have known, last year I passed the required state tests to become an Enrolled Agent, Tax Preparer. This was very exciting for me and at the same time it caused a bit of anxiety. I didn’t know what my future would hold.  However, I do know that only Jesus holds my future. I began praying fervently that God would show me what I must do next and where I should invest my time, talent and treasure. The best advice given to me was to use the skills that I have to serve others.
Over the past year I felt that God was underlining the fact that what was most important was the relationship I had with Him and with the people around me. That love is above service, above knowledge, greater than hope and even faith. I realized then that what I do has no value if I overlooked what is most important.
On the morning of December 22, 2012 I jumped out of bed, pulled out my laptop and began writing what I was afraid would fade from my memory within minutes . . .; a dream. The dream was profound and I knew immediately it was the answer I was waiting for.
In my dream…
A young man asked me a question about Estate Taxes. I told him that I knew little about this, but nevertheless gave him an answer to the best of my knowledge. In response, surprisingly, he gave me a dollar and walked away. I looked at the bill in my hand and distinctly knew that this dollar was not mine. I knew immediately that I MUST use it for God’s purpose.
The dream continued…
I saw an African boy running down a pathway, through the shrubs, on the sun burnt dirt.  He was barefoot. I followed him to a house made of rusted metal. Observing the inside of the living area I thought to myself, if I had no choice but to live here, I would make the best of it, making the place a welcoming home. But this thought stopped abruptly, another replaced it, no, I would cry. I learned that a woman by the name of Alvina and her child lived in the home. They also, were barefoot. I can give her my shoes, I thought, not these, these could give her blisters. I could come back and bring a pair for her, and her child, and for other widows and children. Once I inquired of her shoe size I repeated it in my thoughts, size five, don’t forget, Alvina, size five. It seemed so simple and easy – come back the same way I got here and bring along some shoes. As I headed back I knew how I would spend the dollar.
Now, I have never had a desire to go to Africa.  I have often thought that Africa is the place that most missionaries go to. I have always wanted to go someplace else. But of course God sends people where there is a need. From this dream my deep desire to care for the barefoot people of Africa has sprouted.
What happened next? I will briefly share and conclude with a request . . .
God began opening one door after another. I met with people who had experienced living in such places. I found an unread book, interestingly on my bookshelf, about an organization that specifically provides shoes for the needy in Africa and many other countries. I learned that such a mission is not quite as simple as I thought it might be. I began looking into Christian organizations that were already providing shoes, to the abject poor, living in the rural parts of Africa.
God started pulling the strings of my heart when I looked at the Mossy Foot Project’s website (mossyfoot.com), recommended to me by a friend. Please visit the site to find out all that the non-profit does. I connected with Sharon Daly, the president of the organization and learned of their blessings and needs. I immediately knew that there was little that I could do to help, except for one thing.
The clinics keep all their records on paper.  It would be helpful if they can input and organize this data into a computer.  I have been asked to help develop a computerized system as well as train someone at the clinic to be able to enter the data. This will allow the Mossy Foot Project to see how many patients they have helped, compare each clinic, and be able to pull statistical data. This job for me is very exciting as well as a challenge.  It is perfect because it fits my skill set and strengths.
So how will I be able to embark on this journey God has laid before me?  I need your help! Please pray for me, that God would give me wisdom to accomplish this task and the strength as I travel to places and cultures unfamiliar to me. Would you also consider giving a small financial gift? The trip to Sodo, Ethiopia, scheduled for the beginning of November will cost approximately $3,000.00. Any amount will be helpful. Please send payments to: Vera Chosenko, PO Box 171, Spokane Valley, WA 99037. To make your contribution tax deductible please make the check out to Light of the Gospel and include my name in the memo, the address will stay the same. Thank you, ahead of time, for your prayer and contribution!
          I look forward to posting photos of my trip.Thank you for allowing me to share with you what is on my heart!